Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A musical note (Get it?)

Just fired up the trusty iPod. One of the first songs to pop up is from David Allan Coe. He's long known for doing "the perfect country song" (aka "You never even called me by my name"). And he did. It's just not the one you think.

The REAL perfect country song is called "Revenge", and it's from one of his first albums ("David Allan Coe rides again", I think). It's a country-blues piece, with a man talking to a woman from his past. She's long dead, he spent 20 years in prison for killing her murderer, and he's just been released. And he went straight to visit her gravesite. Wonderful song. Very simple arrangement, but it works terrifically.

One of my all-time favorite songs.

"Revenge was all I wanted
when I killed the man that took your life that day.
I've had my satisfaction.
But the price was more than love should have to pay."

Later.

No comments: